Friday, August 20, 2010

Acceptance

The other day I convinced a girlfriend to join an online dating website with me. Granted, we BOTH need to get the hell out of the house and probably need to get laid, but that's beside the point. Online dating is a habitual way of entertainment for me. I am always SHOCKED at the type of guys that I find online, and after 1 bad experience with a date, I'll take my profile down and swear off dating....then, approximately 2-3 months later, I find myself signing back up because the thrill of the unknown gets me every time. This time, signing up was more due to the fact that I got a coupon for 50% off the 1st 3 months- I figured, "what the hell?!".

I received my first matches within 24 hours, and was almost immediately feeling defeated. Here I am, 5 years after my divorce, and I STILL can't find a guy that really interests me. Many of these guys seem nice- probably have the right thing to offer- just not to me. And so I make my way through sorting through the "maybes", the "hell no's", and the "I would need to see him in person to deceifer this mess". I am an optimist by nature, a pessimest by men.

The next morning I get a match with someone who states their ethnic origin as "other", "6 feet tall", and is a college graduate- see, my standards aren't THAT high. As I was giving this website a mental high five, I decided to take a leap and see what this guy was all about. Interesting. Charming. Seems genuine and sincere. And so this begins our full day of communication. It was a lot of fun, and we have even planned a date for later this same day. I have already prayed to God and asked for Him to please not let this guy be a HUGE douchebag...I'll keep you posted on what God has in store for me.

The thing is, this guy may not be prince charming...who knows, really?? But, the more I keep myself couped up in my house- as far away from men as humanly possible- where is that going to get me?? I'll tell you where- in a doctor's office in a couple more years getting inseminated by a plastic syringe. And yes, this is a possibility that I have already accepted in my life! For now though, I think it's best that I continue to search for MY match rather than a donor match. There's someone for everyone....right?

The irony in all of this is that my date comes exactly 5 years after my marriage. It's funny how things work. I guess God decided it was against His better judgment to keep me home, another night alone, when I should be able to celebrate just a little bit just how far my life has come in these past 5 years. After my date, I look forward to PJ partying it up with my online dating cohort and good friend - I have a feeling the next 3 months of this madness will be good for both of us girls.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I love your blog! I am currenly on an online dating hiatus, but I have so been there, and buried deep in my blog is a post about this very thing! I can't wait to hear how it turns out.

    One foot in front of the other...

    ReplyDelete